ACA Reporting Will Be Required for the 2015 Year

October 14, 2015

ACA Reporting Will Be Required for the 2015 Year

What should you be prepared to file?
Year-end  2015 will  bring new reporting  requirements for employers  for the Affordable Care Act (ACA).  You may think this reporting only applies to organizations subject to the Employer Mandate (otherwise known as “Applicable Large Employers” (ALEs)) – those with over 50 full-time-equivalent employees (FTEs), but that’s not necessarily the case. Even small employers may have to comply with these reporting requirements if their group health plan is self-insured.
There are two kinds of forms : the “B” forms (1094-B and 1095-B) and the “C” forms (1094-C and 1095-C). How do you keep these complicated reporting requirements straight? An easy way to look at ACA reporting is by considering it similar to wage reporting using Form W-2. The “C” forms are sent out to EACH employee reporting their insurance coverage, much like W-2s are used to report wages. The “B” forms summarize the underlying “C” forms, much like Form W-3 summarizes all the wage statements.
“B” Forms
Must be filed by:
  • Insurance Companies
  • Employers who are NOT Applicable Large Employers but who are sponsors of self-insured health plans. This means that small employers who are not subject to the employer mandate, but are self-insured, are subject to this reporting.
The purpose of the “B” forms is to report individuals who are covered by minimum essential coverage so that they won’t be penalized for not having insurance.
“C” Forms
“C” forms are only filed by Applicable Large Employers (ALEs), regardless of whether the employer sponsors a group health plan, whether it is fully insured or self-funded, and even if the ALE is exempt from the employer mandate. The purpose of these forms is to report insurance offers and coverage for employees, to determine whether employers owe a penalty, and to determine employee eligibility for the premium tax credit.
Reporting Requirement for Different Organizations
Organization Size
Group Health Plan
Under 50 FTEs
Fully Insured
1094-B and 1095-B
No ACA Reporting Required
50-99 FTEs
Fully Insured
1094-C and 1095-C
100+ FTEs
Fully Insured
1094-C and 1095-C
*Forms are required for EACH employee
When to File
Regardless of which form you’re required to file, they’re due to employees by February 1, 2016 (normally January 31, but that’s a Sunday in 2016); and to the government by February 29, 2016 (if you’re filing by paper) or by March 31, 2016 (if filed electronically).
Who to Contact for Assistance
Payroll Processing Companies
For employers who use a payroll processing company (such as Paychex, ADP, etc.), these companies are offering ACA reporting services for an additional fee. Be sure to inquire through your payroll representative.
Insurance Brokers
Many local insurance brokers are also offering ACA reporting services. Contact your broker to inquire whether or not they are offering these services and what you need to do to ensure reporting compliance for your company.
Action required NOW:
It is imperative that you determine your solution to the required reporting NOW. Waiting until the end of the year could very well put you at risk of not having the resources available to comply in a timely manner. Failure to comply with these reporting requirements WILL result in substantial fines and penalties.
For additional information, or if you have any questions, please call your Sansiveri professional at 401-331-0500 or
Get in Touch

How can we help you define the future?

Contact Us

Leave a Reply